Key findings from this 2019 Urban Air Mobility Study
- Governmental/institutional based use cases are expected to lead in the UAM market, with transportation and data collection services likely to be the initial private sector-based applications.
- UAM is currently still in the early stages of development, although significant UAM programs are expected to be part of many responding organizations’ business strategies in the next 1 to 3 years.
- ‘Ensuring safety’, ‘Gaining public acceptance’, and ‘Cybersecurity/safety certification compliance’ are the key challenges facing UAM, according to survey respondents.
- Cybersecurity and safety standard compliance are considered key, although stronger consensus around specific standards within the UAM industry is still needed.
- UAS sub-systems play a key role in making the UAM market viable, with respondent preferences for systems’ ability to run several applications at once and the ability to migrate existing applications to their current and/or next designs.