The latest VxWorks® release introduces several new enhancements to help application developers create efficient, portable applications using modern C11 and C++14 programming languages, the latest LLVM compiler technology, and support for the modular and cross-platform Boost C++ libraries. And there is even more to come.
LLVM Clang Compiler
LLVM brings VxWorks customers the latest in open source modern compiler technology. Clang is a new generation of C compiler focusing on producing fast and high quality binaries. By standardizing on an open source compiler, Wind River® brings a more nimble and agile development approach providing compiler updates and innovation more regularly. Some of the benefits in this release include:
- Fast compiles and low memory use
- Faster-generated binaries resulting in more optimized code
- Easier licensing with no GPL limitations
The introduction of C11 support with VxWorks provides a new set of safer standard functions from the C99 standard. C11 includes Unicode support, compliance with IEC 60559 floating-point arithmetic and IEC 60559 complex arithmetic, memory alignment facilities, anonymous structs and unions, the _Noreturn function specifier, and multithreading support. Some of the benefits include:
- Standardized multithreading support providing portability over the previous non-standard support
- Static assertions allowing errors to be found that were impossible to detect during the preprocessing phase
- Safer versions of functions, preventing malicious attacks from the previous C99 standard
Supporting C++14 allows more OS-agnostic and portable applications. It also provides increased developer productivity due to the ability to utilize the many open source libraries in the community and the broader set of tools allowing developers to focus on their value add. C++14 now supports lambda expressions, automatic type deduction of objects, uniform initialization syntax, delegating constructors, deleted and defaulted function declarations, and nullptr as well as rvalue references. Some of the benefits include:
- More OS-agnostic and portable applications
- Increased developer productivity
Boost is a set of libraries that is at the forefront of the C++ standard. Boost provides support for tasks and structures such as linear algebra, pseudorandom number generation, multithreading, image processing, regular expressions, and unit testing. It contains more than 150 individual libraries. The use of the Boost high-quality libraries provides the following benefits:
- Faster initial development efforts for the application developer
- Higher-quality code and fewer bugs
- Less wasted time creating work someone else has already mastered
- Lower long-term maintenance costs
Stay tuned for more modern application development tools supporting VxWorks coming your way soon.
Want to know more or ready to upgrade? Contact your Wind River representative, or get in touch at +1-800-545-WIND.